Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tuesday, October 20 - Impressions

October is almost finished. Eleven days remain. The leaves are orange, gold. The temperatures are sliding down. Yesterday I took a late afternoon walk to see the fall colors. I remembered other October afternoons, other moments spent thinking about absolutely nothing and then every great topic.

There are moments which create natural footnotes in our lives when events inspire us to action or inspire us to remember some detail. Life is a series of preceding prayers, promises, prefaces, and problems.

Whether we vacationed in Paris or Berlin, whether we have a MBA or MFA, whether we prefer the city or the country, our lives present us with a unanswered questions. There are times of indecision in all of our lives. A little indecision is good. Especially, if it leads to prayer and God.

My life is endless journeys, impressions, observations, thoughts, anecdotes, memories, and photographs. Life is formless, random. I say prayers for those who have died before me and those who are alive and occasionally annoyed by me.

The last two years are important too me as prayer becomes more important to me. I am such a neophyte, my intelligence exists to ask questions and to wonder. My initiation continues as I learn more about the Church and my interpretations about the Church and I feel like a new Christian being.

Three rainy days, three rainy nights. I went to the grocery store and decided to remain indoors to keep dry. What a difference a cold October rain makes when you’re trying to balance four or five plastic bags, a black umbrella, and walk across a busy street and up a slight hill, almost steep. The faces of some of the other pedestrians is blank, lifeless. All I can do is say little prayers and smile.

October somehow reminds me of the many compromises and considerations which strongly lead me toward goodness, toward God. There is something meritorious about the days becoming shorter and the doubts about football playoff prospects. All that matters is deciding what matters. Being a humble, loving servant for God looks appealing in the October afternoon sunshine. October creates great justifications for prayer and meditation and self examination and confession.

October is a great time to wonder about putting things in context, putting God first. It is a great time to read a verse or two or a chapter in the Bible. We can find new meanings and directions for our lives if we allow ourselves the time to think.

Prayer offers us hope and new beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment