Thursday, October 1, 2009

Being

As a Catholic I am often amazed how many books there are about this religion. I am amazed at how many books about Catholicism that I own. I am also amazed at how many of those books that I own which I have not read in their entirety. I tend to read the cover, the dust jacket, the table of contents, maybe the introduction and the first chapter.

I am a person who likes asking questions. Sometimes I think that my astrological sign should have been a question mark. When meeting new people I have to be careful to integrate the questions sparingly into a conversation or else a friendly talk turns into an intense police interrogation.

Questions are a good thing. Having questions about your faith is natural. The questions if explored naturally, calmly should help you deepen or strengthen your faith. Our faith and our beliefs should be explored frequently. Our lives are not static. We confront change everyday. Our faith is not static. It is there encouraging us to explore, ask questions, learn more. Our faith is leading us to God.

Faith has its own lesson book. This lesson book is personalized for each of us and it is tailored to our individual idiosyncrasies. Our personalities influence how we pray, how we love our neighbors, how we love God. I sometimes wonder about all the things that must be in my lesson book. I sometimes wonder if I am learning and putting the right things into practice, if I am praying enough, and if I am helping my neighbors enough.

As the October days become shorter and the outside temperatures become cooler, I have discovered many unasked questions. I have also discovered the joy of reading an unread book.

This week I am enamored with catechesis and catechism.

No comments:

Post a Comment