Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Approaching Moral Thought

And this is my prayer: that your love may increase ever more and more in knowledge and every kind of perception (Philippians 1:9)


Recently I have allowed myself an inward examination and assurance of morality. How and why I made decisions became important to me. I wondered whether my presentiment was for honor, humility, and God’s service. I have seen myself in the shimmering world of my imagination ready to sacrifice everything with God grace and in the name of God. I have also imagined an important diplomat. And I have imagined myself as a complicated hero with an impossible decision to make. I have been an imaginary husband, father, government official, priest. The events always occurred a couple of hours, a couple of days in the future. Someone’s life or world peace was in danger. A sacrifice was always requested and given. This luxuriant approach to the future, this absolute trust and faith in a formula over time began to amuse then bemuse me. My daydreams were vague mini Hollywood productions and my reactions over time were indefinite. It is easy to create a scene in our minds; it is easy to ask questions about faith; giving our hearts, minds, and souls time to discover solutions is very difficult, sometimes it is almost impossible. So influential is our civilized, technological currently de facto instantaneity rule.

Asking moral questions is easy. Applying moral thought is difficult. Each thought that we have can help to produce a legacy of sensations and images. Traditional Catholic teaching explains that the moral value of a human act depends on its object, end, and circumstances. What do we think as we make decisions in our lives. How do we make decisions? Why do we make the decisions that we make?

Being a Christian means more than stating that you love everybody. It means sacrifice. It means struggle. It means suffering. Being Christian implies a courage to bring God into your life, your whole life and allowing yourself to become a living temple of God’s grace and love. Allow the Holy Spirit into your heart and your imagination. Encourage both good thoughts and good works in yourself. Use goodness to encourage happiness and betterment in the lives of others.

Purity of thought, purity of consolation can exist within a mind that maintains a rigorous discourse with itself and which believes and follows the teaching of the Church. It is the fellowship and the community developed there which will help to guide each person toward the kingdom of God.



No comments:

Post a Comment