Thursday, October 15, 2009

Raindrops and Neighbors

Sometimes, I feel that I think too much. Every second something new seems to appear in my brain. There are minor and major things. There are many little in-between thoughts. Some of these are just distractions others are reminders of things that I either I should do or that I have told myself that I want to do.

Just writing this can be an exercise in post-modern juvenile angst and ennui as both tone and topics are tossed around in my brain and then tossed again. Sometimes I like to interpret this time of concentration as a quest for perfection. Sometimes, I describe as procrastination by over-stimulation.

There are always ideas waiting to be expressed. There are always prayers waiting to be said. As I am slowly typing this my stomach growls. I think of creating my prayer spreadsheet so that I remember to pray for all the people that I say I am going to pray for.

It is still dark outside. I think that I hear the sound of raindrops against my window. The world needs our love, our compassion. Our charity should be shared with all. We should look for the goodness, the signs of Jesus Christ in ourselves and in those around us.

My stomach growls again. I hear a truck on the street pass the building. I hear footsteps on my ceiling. But, the simple message in my life should be remember to love everyone. Unconditional love is easy to say, easy to describe, easy to request; however, it is often difficult to give. There are often little things in the way to true and complete unconditional love.

We all have our personal fears, jealousies, misunderstandings, ignorance. These can create obstacles to unconditional love. I wonder is it really possible for each of us to love each other as we love ourselves. Some of us live very frenetic lives juggling our career, family, and ecclesial lives. We give our time and attention to each part of our lives. We struggle with loving ourselves sometimes. It is fair to assume that we struggle with loving our neighbors too.

The important thing is to struggle. We must struggle. We must try to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. Remember that love is personal. Love does not guarantee an end to conflicts. Love is not a happy ending.

I believe that both compassion and charity are necessary for a good Christian life. There is no hiding from the importance of love. How we choose to express love is a very personal matter. I can not promote any formula or strategy. Just ask yourself, “what would Jesus do?” Let your answer be your guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment