Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mercy?

The text of the Gospels offer comfort to us. As Christians we must always remember and always believe one thing: that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, to-day, and for ever; and, therefore, what he did when he lived and walked on earth, he continues doing now, and will continue till the end of time. If we allow our hearts to accept and proclaim this, and look at our Lord's actions when he taught us how to pray and how to love one another as recipes, formulas, roadmaps as it were, for our journey toward eternal life and God’s love and mercy, then each verse in the gospels can enlighten us, and guide us toward goodness and love. We, however, must encourage our minds to be open, understanding, calm.

I believe that each day the need for Jesus increases in the world whenever I hear about any violence between men. I often imagine Jesus walking on Connecticut Avenue around five-thirty on a Wednesday afternoon in early October. Some people would stare and point at him; some would either text or call their friends and explain who they saw; and some would follow him and listen to each word that he spoke.

The city is wild with anxiety. I often wonder what happened to to compassion and mercy. I often look into the faces of other pedestrians. Sometimes I smile and offer a polite salutation. Sometimes I am running around trying to both remember the wild forest of this city.

And I am learning many things, finding many new unanswered questions. I am content not knowing all of the answers. I am content uncovering questions.

And, what kind of person am I, would I recognize God's mercy in my life? Would I share God’s love and compassion with my neighbors?

Christianity offers not only a solution, but an endless question and an endless challenge leading us toward goodness and eternal life. Each day a new question forms within my head, some of the questions are spoken, still others are never spoken. Christianity strives to improve our humanity.

Remember to allow yourself to be silent. Endeavor to listen patiently and to learn obediently. Help your heart to develop a honest eloquence. Christianity requires patience, obedience, silence and prayer.

And prayer is always needed.

1 comment:

  1. Study the paintings of Sir Stanley Spencer. He explored this theme of Christ appearing on common British streets, what the reactions would be, &c.

    ReplyDelete