Saturday, November 7, 2009

being humble

The person who is trustworthy in very small matters is also trustworthy in great ones; and the person who is dishonest in very small matters is also dishonest in great ones. Luke 16:10

Today I enjoyed a quiet November Saturday afternoon. I had thoughts about St. Paul’s letters, and my mind tried to force me into composing an inspirational letter in a similar style. My impression of Christ life and Christian struggles start with the passages of St. Paul. His letters are a mixture of affection and hope, of thoughtfulness and prayer, of humanity and divinity; so full of warm, direct intention for all its boldness, expressing the random, spontaneous, immediacy of Faith; strength expanding, strength delicate. My inquisitiveness continues to grow as I learn more about being Christian.

Modern life is abrupt, cold, indifferent at times. The Church desires to entertain, to inspire, to challenge us. The Church desires to teach us. The Church desires our intelligence, our fidelity and our unconditional love.

And it is easy to find someone with an opinion on philosophy and art. Be aware of those who boldly proclaim themselves as God’s jurisconsult. Beware of those who do not encourage your inquisitiveness. Beware of the austerity of technological advances. Beware of the perfumed coldness of false friends. Life is often haphazard.

The singular focus of our lives should be God and being his humble, obedient servants.

Our thoughts and daydreams flash in my mind quickly and freely. Naturally we touch goodness, wonder about whether we’re being too predictable, too conventional. Goodness can be piecemeal. Goodness can be cold.

And I want to discuss affection and trust and faith and hope. And I want to be self-conscious in my love of God.

And I want to move toward God.

Abraham replied, 'My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented. Luke 16:25

The relationship between Faith and action is a friendly frenzied interrogation of abstract and concrete. Faith encourages truth, provides access to God. Faith depends upon the commonness daily prayer, attending Mass, helping those who need help. Faith exists beyond the conscious, beyond the unconscious.

Being Christian means creating and living a routine life of service to God. Action is needed to move closer to God.

And I want to read another letter by St. Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment