Friday, November 6, 2009

Split Second

For if we live, we live for the Lord, and if we die, we die for the Lord; so then, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. Romans 14:8

It was my intention to write about the Sacraments today. I created an outline, typed one opening paragraph, did a quick mental outline, searched for some quotes. Then, I got up and did something else. I reviewed the opening sentences decided to do something else. So I then typed another opening paragraph. I looked at it. Then I decided to run an errand.

And so I went to the bank. Since it was early, it was quiet. There was one man and one woman in front of me. The man had a cellphone with a large screen. He kept aiming it all around the bank, taking photographs. He photographed the names on the door, the teller stations, the counters. He was non-threatening but my early morning mind instantly imagined the worse. When he slid his hand into the pocket of his gray sweatpants I knew that he was not going to pull out a gun but for a split second I asked myself what if he did pull out a gun.

Such is the the state of the world and our society. Fear and mistrust wait for us. The events at Fort Hood have left me feeling uneasy and vulnerable. I think we need to offer our prayers for both the victims and the shooter. I think we need to offer our prayers for all our soldiers and their families who have been deployed to either war zone.

There is no way for us to know what thoughts or fears lead people to action. Our only response should first be to God. We must offer our prayers to God and ask God for guidance, compassion, and mercy for all.

Then let us no longer judge one another, but rather resolve never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. Romans 14:13

All people live within an unique sphere created by truth, facts, and opinion. The combination of these three elements can create perspective. What leads one man to shoot and kill one person might lead another to prayer and service to God. There probably is that split second when everything is quickly considered, when everything is decided right before the action. I think we should pray that if someone reaches that point, that they stop and ask themselves what would Jesus do?

Each day I try to temper what I do and what I say. I try to have fairness and goodness be my guide. There are moments when I am able to be humble, compassionate, merciful. But, I must always work at it, focus on obeying Christ’s teachings. Each day I try to live for God. Some days it is easier than others.

And there are split seconds when I have to make decisions. I try to put God first. I am not always successful. But, I keep trying. I have to remind myself that I am human and that I am not perfect.

Then I try goodness again; trying imitating Christ again.

And again and again.


Keep the faith (that) you have to yourself in the presence of God; blessed is the one who does not condemn himself for what he approves. Romans 14:22


No comments:

Post a Comment