Thursday, July 23, 2009

Repetition

We live in a time of incessant repetition. We live in a time where most people with an opinion has the freedom to share it. We live in a time of great torment and distress. We can read about horrific crimes, watch a television report on terrible natural disasters, hear tragic consequences of events in the lives of our friends.

There is always something to scare us, annoy us, confuse us.

Describing our lives by the tornados, hurricanes, and wildfires experienced and survived might be great for a memoir or a potboiler or blockbuster movie with all types of special effects but it may not be beneficial to the ordinary person. Looking back over my life there have not been any tornados, hurricanes, or wildfires. I often wish there had been.

My life was and is as imperfect and confusing as anybody's. There have been moments of anger, angst, fear. In many ways the template of my life is very similar to other people's. As much as I want to pretend that my life has been smooth and calm, it has not.

My life has been anchored in a very strong belief in God. Some of my earliest memories are of going to Sunday school, going to church, praying at the dinner table, kneeling and praying at the side of my bed.

My life has been attached to Catholic thought since elementary school. My life has been influenced by a struggle between noticing a social injustice and finding a way to change it and encouraging others to help change it. I have volunteered with all types of causes, attended countless rallies, forums, benefits.

I have learned one basic thing. There is injustice in the world.

It is easy to look the other way, to ignore people or situations which might make us uncomfortable. I often remind myself that my life is not supposed to be easy, my life is not supposed to be comfortable. I sometimes feel that I should sacrifice more for the common good.


No comments:

Post a Comment