Friday, September 9, 2011

As A Catholic I Pray

As Catholics we are asked to remember our weaknesses, our vulnerabilities, our unworthiness each time we attend Mass. My identity as a Catholic begins with this acknowledgment of my frailties, with my acceptance of my imperfection. I am not attempting to save the world. I am attempting to put myself on the path to righteousness, on the path to Jesus Christ. I can honestly and truthfully report that this endeavor is difficult but very rewarding. I can honestly and truthfully report that I move a couple of steps forward, a couple of steps backward, a couple of steps forward. I am learning to pray more. I think about prayer often. On good days I remember to offer the entire day to God.

I have so much to be thankful for. I have learned that the world always need prayer. Sickness, natural disasters, economic hardship provide fertile material for reflection and prayer. Morality is a casualty in our permissive society. Being bad, being rude now rules, dominates the cultural landscape with the rise of reality television shows. Selfishness is good in this order of social chaos and confusion where authority is undermined and consumerism encouraged. Life is no longer valued. The individual man can be replaced. This is the mantra of our fast talking, fast moving, fast living society concerned with short term profit, short term success. Instant gratification rules.

I am not perfect. I still have improper thoughts, say improper things from time to time. I do make myself stop, make myself consider the other side, the other point of view. Humility and I are becoming friends.

Each time I go to Mass I feel recharged, renewed in my quest for goodness, kindness, holiness. I try to forget some of my earthly needs, earthly temptations. Each Mass touches me differently, depending on all types of variables. Sometimes I will like a line in the opening prayer, or in the readings, or in the Gospel. Sometimes a homily will resonate with me.

I allow myself the opportunity to attend Mass for these lessons and to learn discipline. Going to Mass is a sign of obedience that I offer to God each time I attend Mass.

Oh, I am sad to say that I am still a sinner. I am happy to say that I am Catholic. I guess the next step is for me to go to confession.

No comments:

Post a Comment