Friday, September 23, 2011

Being Me and Seeking Goodness

Being me is amusing most of the time.

Being me encourages people to say crazy things, to ask silly things, to ask personal things.

I attempt to be gracious, polite. I often prefer solitude.

Once a month depending which friends I am with at a given moment, a question about faith or God is dropped carelessly into a conversation. Then there is a moment of predictable psuedoscience challenging belief in God or attacking the Catholic Church with make-believe grievances and swizzle sticks. Sometimes I speak up, sometimes I remain silent. Such conversations are not true conversations but monologues, not true forums for discussions but a way for someone to get attention, to grandstand, to expose their insecurities, vulnerabilities. Most of my friends know how important God is to me, how important attending Mass is to me. They also know that kindness and goodness helps keep my tongue still. I do sometimes roll my eyes.

I have learned when to challenge people with differing viewpoints, opposing opinions. Too often insecure people betray themselves, their motives, their selfishness when trying to provoke debates on God, on the worthiness of the Church in the modern world. Oh, there are many things that I think of saying, but first I simply listen, then I allow myself a moment of prayer asking should I speak, should I not speak.

Naturally I never ask for guidance about my rolling eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment