Thursday, September 15, 2011

Attend Mass

Attending Mass provides focus for my day, gives me a sense of accomplishment. Each time I attend Mass I am happy to pray to God, I remember some of the people I have promised to pray for. Thinking about how to call God and actually calling God can be a beautiful experience. Looking within our soul, within our minds, within our hearts can be daunting, frightening. Many secrets are hidden within us. As Christians we are constantly making room for God, making room in our internal and external worlds. I pray that God will enter my soul, my mind, my heart. I give thanks because I believe that God made heaven and earth. I give thanks for each prayer I say on earth, for myself, for others. Indeed I am happiest when spontaneous prayers for strangers, forgotten intended prayers enter my mind. I do not want to imagine an existence with God. I seek an audience with God. I seek to learn about heaven, I seek to avoid hell. All this finds my mind, leads me to prayer, leads me to hope.

Each time I attend Mass there is a moment of bliss, a moment of extreme sorrow. Pain, suffering, darkness wait nearby, wait for me, wait for strangers, wait for people whom I care about and for whom I pray. In the faces are many emotions, in the faces are many needs. In the faces are many reasons for thanks, many reasons for praise, many reasons prayer.

Heaven and earth, heaven and hell, earth and hell these are topics, these are combinations which are familiar to Christians.

Attending Mass is an opportunity to remember goodness, holiness, kindness; an opportunity to reach for them; and an opportunity to seek perfection for God’s pleasure, to seek perfection in loving and serving God.

No comments:

Post a Comment