Saturday, March 13, 2010

Searching for Personal Humility

It rained in the morning. There was a childish desire to stare out the window in the wet grey vastness, this temporary damp landscape, to pout because of the baseball games, picnics, soccer games, barbecues that would have to be postponed or canceled. Even though there was nothing planned for the afternoon except being indoors there was a tiresome desire to be peevish, to be whiny. Of course this feeling only lasted a minute or two and I was off thinking about something else, trying to arrange words in my head, on the computer screen. I was trying to imagine the right image to punctuate my thoughts.

Lent dominates my imagination. I am afraid to open my eyes for fear of sinning. By nature I am very observant. At times I like to share my observations in mischievous, playful tones and words with close friends. I am often filled with all types of wisecracks. I am a social color commentator, there to amuse and challenge my friends with my wit and wackiness. But, within some wisecracks reside impure thoughts. And, this being Lent I am trying to reduce my impure thought production.

There is always something to capture my attention, to make me laugh as I walk on the sidewalk.

There is always something which tugs at my heart, makes me say a little prayer to God as I walk on the sidewalk.

And so I move along, looking and listening and learning about myself and God.

Some days I try to see Jesus in every face that I walk by. Some days I try to say hello to every face that I walk by. Some days I say a prayer for every faces that walks by.

Many strangers possess familiar faces which make me remember friends and family members in distant place, which make me remember to pray for this cousin, that aunt.

How easy it is forget a simple act of kindness and love!

Friday, dodging raindrops, worrying about typographical errors, worrying about grammatical errors, searching for umbrellas, searching for puddles reflecting the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment