Saturday, March 20, 2010

Photo Essay - Friday Night in the Cathedral

Friday night I was happily, busily in the Cathedral holding a camera, trying not to be annoying or distracting to others who were there for the Stations of the Cross. It had been my plan to start my journey in the Sacristy with a few posed shots before the actual procession began. Due to scheduling conflicts, that did not happen. So the Stations of the Cross began while I was helping to clean the Altar after the 5:30 Mass. Every Catholic should attend the Stations of the Cross during Lent, our lives would be deeply enriched if we continually meditated on the final moments of Jesus’ life, his pain and suffering. And so armed with my camera I decided to capture this moment. I was following the readings, but sometimes in front of the Cross trying to find the best angle and lighting. Each time I pressed the shutter button there was a silent prayer released for peace and love and hope for everyone. From Stations of the Cross I went to the Simple Lenten Meals and took several quick photographs of those present. I listened to the presentation from the representatives from Catholic Charities. I talked about something, had some soup. Then, I went into the Cathedral and listened to the second part of the organ recital. I allowed myself to relax, to enjoy the music for a moment. How beautiful, how inspiring is the Cathedral of Saint Matthew the Apostle! It is a house of the Lord and so much more.



No comments:

Post a Comment