Monday, February 22, 2010

Random Musings

I was fortunate to hear Archbishop Wuerl deliver two homilies this weekend and to have him personally greet me on both occasions. He is a confident, relaxed speaker who varies his inflection skillfully, strategically as he speaks to stress his points, to keep the attention of his listeners. As he was speaking on Saturday, I wanted to inconspicuously take notes. His homilies make me think, remind me of the necessity of placing God first in my mind. He does not skirt around any topic. Whenever he speaks there is a gentleness, a calmness in his oration. Each time he speaks I feel the call to holiness, the desire to live a life more pleasing to God. Happily this occurs with other priests too.

How can I describe the moments of quiet, of stillness when their is a tender voice asking for my help, asking for a decision to live a life filled with goodness and holiness! How magnificent one moment is! How beautiful it is to want to live your life to God, to want to offer your life, your heart, your soul to God!

Sometimes I am bombarded with frightful doubts. I am now learning how to react in such conditions, I simply must say a prayer, a decade of the rosary. Feeling insignificant is not popular but it is a position closer to God. I must always be humble, loving. I must avoid pride and envy. However, I must always protect the hope in my heart, I must always share the hope.

I learn how to be a better Christian from the examples of the members of the parish community. I learn how to be a better Christian from listening to the beautiful Eucharistic prayers. I learn how to be a better Christian by volunteering in the different ministries at the Cathedral. Each provides something just a little different. Each has its own awareness, own purpose. Observing others praying and meditating in front of the Blessed Sacrament gave me the confidence to do it.

Sin wounds us all; God offers to heal us, to give us salvation if we simply believe and follow his teachings. Our lives should lead ourselves and others to God. Each Christian should pray for himself/herself and all of their neighbors, all of their friends and foes.

I have learned that we must nurture, grow, and share our love without any conditions, without any restrictions. We must love each other as God loves each and every one of us. I have learned the necessity, the importance of moving closer to God each day through prayer, fasting, almsgiving. Each day I make mistakes of varying degrees, with varying consequences. Each day I try to strengthen and repair my relationship with God.

Attending Mass as often as I can is truly a blessing. I can see how to become a more loving, more obedient, more humble servant for God.

All that I have written is based upon my experiences at the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle. It is based on the gentle thoughts, the quiet prayers; how wonderful it is to be a part of this beautiful, loving Christian community; I am truly blessed to have been baptized there, to have been welcomed into full fellowship with God there, to have experienced this community of his faithful followers. So many beautiful thoughts and desires have been stirred within my heart. I am developing a love for humanity and a magnificent concern for social justice for all.

And this all began with a simple hello, a kind handshake. There is a simple honest connection between Christians, between followers of Christ. I must learn how to share this connection with everyone that I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment