Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

Gather the people, notify the congregation, assemble the elders.

And Lent begins today.

And I reminded some of my friends to attend Mass. And I made myself go to bed early on Tuesday night. Wednesday morning, I woke up earlier than usual and was able to say a silent prayer and begin my day.

I did not have my usual breakfast. I did have some juice with an aspirin and then I walked into the cold February morning trying to examine my conscience but I had to decide whether to walk or take the 42 bus down Connecticut Avenue. I decided to take the bus. The bus was crowded with faces curious, faces half asleep, faces pouting. I wondered how many of the other passengers knew that it was Ash Wednesday. I wondered if any of them cared that Lent had begun. I wondered if I would get a seat, if the bus would stop or continue through the red light.

And I thought about all of the prayers I keep telling myself to pray. Echoes of previous prayers returned to me. This morning as I thought of things to give up, things to do, things not to do, I realized that my success was dependent upon my self-discipline.

As a Christian, I do understand the necessity and the beauty of penance. Penance is away for each of us to evaluate our lives and find a new path, a new direction which will direct us to God, on a path of righteousness.

The Cathedral was filled with faces anxious, faces humble, faces obedient waiting for the Mass to begin, waiting for the ashes to be gently placed upon each forehead.

There is something beautiful about Ash Wednesday. Faith and hope are visible in the faces and expressions of so many people. Lent helps us to prepare our hearts and souls for the Easter Resurrection. Lent encourages us to fast, to pray, to give alms.

As a child I think I always liked Ash Wednesday because of the ashes placed on the forehead. Those ashes were protected, my mother would not make me wash them off before dinner. These ashes protect me now, remind me of the Gospels, lead me toward salvation. These ashes are a sign of penance; these ashes on my forehead signal the start of Lent, signal my hope for reconciliation with God.

And so I must find a way to move closer to God during the next forty days which hopefully will extend beyond the forty days.

No comments:

Post a Comment