Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cold Walk Home

Tonight a walk in the wind, often against the winter wind. Innocent weather with only snow flurries.

A pleasant interlude to think of the goodness in life, the holiness in others. I am still a sinner, like everyone else, but my mind is wrestling with patience, obedience, charity, humility. I have had some pleasure in the cold blasts of air against my exposed skin, the invasion of arctic air freezing my face and eyes. My mind forgets the wind for a moment and wanders to old movies, old books. Walking against a winter wind is often a time of thought and sensibility. Words and themes can be pondered, impressions analyzed, morality and responsibility remembered.

And I was happy for all the parishioners, for all the moments that I have shared with them, all the examples of humility, charity, and obedience to God’s will that I have seen.

Fortitude, we each must develop it if we are to avoid sin and follow in the footsteps of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment