Friday, August 21, 2009

A View of the Dome

When I look to the south I can see the dome of the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle. It rises up like helmet and seems to hover above other buildings. When I look to the west I can see the National Cathedral rising up above a forest of green trees. It is easy to imagine a medieval, European setting when glancing at those imposing stone towers rising heroically toward heaven. It is beautiful but feels remote, distant from the city. The forest of trees create a wall which separates the National Cathedral from the city.

I can see two domes when I look at the city’s skyline. To the east is the Capitol dome and to the west is the St. Matthew’s Cathedral dome. In many ways they provide balance both architecturally and spiritually. Depending on my mood, I can imagine how they complement each other.

But looking at St. Matthew’s Cathedral dome, slightly taller than most buildings in that part of the city, but surrounded by other buildings and seemingly dwarfed by the Washington Monument in the distance, it is easy to imagine how intertwined the church is to this city.

There is something humble about that dome which suggests a quiet diligence. It is not ostentatious. St. Matthew’s Cathedral blends in with it surroundings, quietly beckoning those in need and those who can assist.

I take great comfort in the knowledge that the Cathedral is surrounded by rooftop exhausts and elevator rooms and giant noise making mechanical things. From the distance my eyes can not see these things. From a distance my mind remembers the daily Mass schedule, people sitting in front of the Blessed Sacrament, people walking up the front steps.

My mind sees two Cathedrals of St. Matthew the Apostle. One is alive today with all the activity and noise and smells from Rhode Island Avenue and warmly welcoming all to visit. It is completely urban, modern. The other is alive over a hundred years ago with the hope and prayers and Latin Mass from many yesterdays. It is completely traditional, hardworking.

Here is a place of discernment, prayer, and action.


No comments:

Post a Comment