Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Bit of Fun, 8/1/09

Well, I am building this entry in the recreation of an early August Saturday morning sunshine as about 20 other men are building an apartment house behind my building. I must admit that I know very little about construction other than the words wood, nails, hammer, and drywall. But, looking down into this unfinished building I must admit to being just a little bewildered. All I see is concrete and aluminum and something which looks like corrugated steel. What a racket those 20 men make with their drills and hammers and trash cans and cell phones. I am afraid to look to closely, I might end up murdered for being too curious and then covered in marble and placed in the lobby or something.


They call it building renovation and I wonder.


Can our souls be renovated? rejuvenated?


I like asking questions.


Well I sit here almost everyday at different times during the day. Sometimes I am here early in the morning, sometimes after dinner, or later. Being outdoors, above the city, provides a great view of the architecture, a great view of exteriors of the buildings. I never feel sick while staring at the trees or the brick and glass covered buildings. Sometimes my mind does have a momentary pain like the spot on the arm where the vaccination needle penetrates the skin. It’s a good pain; concern for others accompanies it. This pain is equal parts mixture of anxiety, hope, love. It’s like hoping that your left arm heals enough so you can play in the big game tonight because the coach and other team members are depending on you.


In life we depend upon people to help us every day of our lives. Modern life is built upon interdependence. It is becoming more difficult to be isolationists. In life the lucky ones have learned to trust their faith and depend on God.


God provides us with so many wonderful things. It is easy to take God for granted. Modern life likes to present the idea that man is master of the universe. Modern life likes to reduce the importance of God, move God from the center to the periphery of our lives. Religion offers a kind of vaccination, protection from some of the ills of modern living. Religion also poses many questions which will take a lifetime to answer. Sometimes the same question will be asked again and again.


Speaking about religion I suppose it is obvious that I am very partial to the Catholic way of life. For me it provides a simple framework, a glorious introduction to God. I believe that as we move through our lives, we are constantly moving toward, and then moving away from God. When we drift away, the event or feeling that pulls us back is a new introduction to the wonders of God.


I wish that we could share the moments when we decided to make God and being a servant of God as priorities in our lives. It would be great to tell someone in twenty-five years that you were having coffee at small shop with some friends on a Tuesday afternoon when you received a Divine Call, and decided to respond as a humble, obedient servant.


Building a good relationship involves accepting that it will be hard work, involve sacrifices, and that it will always be ongoing and unfinished.


No comments:

Post a Comment