Saturday, January 23, 2010

Goodness and Holiness

I have been writing, for two or three hours without stopping; writing and revising and thinking. Should I add a quote from the Psalms? Should I mention Saint John Viannay or Saint Francis de Sales? What is my theme going to be. I must admit a very strong attraction and affection toward goodness and holiness, and a deep interest being a faithful, humble servant of God, but I understand my limitations and that I have many lessons to learn. I must accept both the mystery and the logic of being Christian. There are guiding principles. There is a definite philosophical foundation to Christianity. Faith provides a way to organize our scattered and fragmentary thoughts and ideas. Faith suggests that we use our reason power to further understand and to serve God. Faith provides us with the vigor to do what is right, to be righteous, to develop an exquisite sensibility filled with obedience, charity, and humility. Our philosophy is neither modern or popular but without fail it directs us to do the right thing, to be better people. Being Christian is a twenty-four hour , three hundred sixty-five day a year vocation. We must remember this and live our lives accordingly. We have intelligence. We have creativity. Our Faith offers compassion and continuity. Our Faith reminds us that we each have a limitless capacity for goodness and holiness which we have to develop, nourish, maintain and protect. We must remember to make time for prayer in our lives. We all need time for silent contemplation in our busy imperfect chaotic noisy lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment