Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Seek the Truth in Jesus

One of the best things that I have learned since my conversion is to seek the truth in Jesus. This is hard to do. It requires using the conscience, allowing a little time to pass before speaking or acting, allowing time for prayer and reflection. By nature I am often an act first think later type of person. Being Christian involves so much thought, so much analyzation as I try to apply the Beatitudes to my daily routine, as I try to love my neighbor as I love myself, as I try and follow in the footsteps of Jesus Christ.

The world presents great, unending sorrow, turbulent anxiety, tempestuous anguish to direct our gaze away from Jesus Christ. The secular world encourages a life based upon uneasiness and fear, self-centered and selfish. Everything is temporal. Everything is needed now.

As Catholics we are the adopted children of God. We share covenants with God. Each day of our lives hopefully presents a moment to give God praise and glory. It is not always easy to follow the law, but having God’s law and striving to be obedient to it, to follow it does give me comfort, does lead me toward salvation, does make me think more.

Each day provides an opportunity to become closer to God, to learn more about God, to learn how to nurture and strengthen my spiritual life.

Seek the truth in Jesus. Allow yourself time to see all of the beauty and goodness around you. Allow yourself time to relax and enjoy the presence of God in your life. This might take a little while. There are so many distractions and diversions in our lives. We sometimes need to have a moment of actual silence and solitude away from everything, everyone, every gadget, every bit of technological wizardry which connects us to distant computer servers. We need to tune our ears so that we can reap the benefits of spiritual silence, so we can hear and answer God whenever he calls.

Being Christian is often difficult. It is easy to forget kindness and peace. It is easy to toss wisecracks, ignore the suffering of others, stir of trouble with a smile and downcast eyes. Being Catholic presents an opportunity for renewal, for peace; the Eucharist gives our lives a special and unique majesty. Each Mass is both a memorial and sacrificial celebration. Each Mass reminds me that I am human, that I am a sinner and then encourages me to do better, to turn away from sin.

Turning away from sin is difficult unless you seek the truth in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment