Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sharing A Birthday In September

Just a couple of hours ago, I embarked upon a journey. I went in search of an unfamiliar building in an unfamiliar part of the city guided by hope and a vague sense of direction. I am not very good at map reading, especially when I am in a hurry and I look at two maps with “You are here” red circles on them. Of course I am going to be confused. Of course because I am in a hurry, I am going to use the wrong exit and begin walking the wrong way.

For a moment the journey is filled with a moment of cinematic fear and apprehension as I plot a new course and hope that my arrival time will not be inconvenient.

And so I walk along almost empty streets on a Saturday night at twilight, half wanting to stop and photograph the buildings and sky. And so I walk along thinking of St. Peter, St. Matthew, St. Roberto Bellarmine. My mind is filled with images of the pedestrian free sidewalks and thoughts of where and when to attend Mass tomorrow.

I often enjoy walking alone but I think that the experience is better when the sidewalks are alive with other people moving, talking, stopping, pointing. I was unsure of my route but hopeful that I would arrive at my destination. This Saturday night was filled with importance and urgency. I was going to a birthday party.

Briefly, my eyes did see people sitting outside a building, my heart realized that they were waiting for the shelter to open. I said a quick prayer for the women and children that I saw.

My sense of direction was correct and I did arrive at the building. Luckily, familiar faces were waiting on the street and I was happy to be recognized.

I was pleased to be attending this sixty-ninth birthday celebration. It was a small family event. I was honored to be there. An assortment of loving men, women and children were present, laughing, talking, remembering, loving. We were assembled on the roof top of an office building with an impressive view of the skyline. The U.S. Capitol was so close and dreamlike, the Washington Monument refused to blend into background. The sky was multicolored, beautiful, breathtaking.

There was something universal, something very inspirational about that moment. Each time we are lucky enough to share a birthday with someone we are sharing more than just one moment, but the combined moments of all the people who we have loved and who have loved us during our lifetimes.

And the heart of the sixty-nine year old birthday girl was filled with love and all types of gentle memories. She was happy to share this moment with her family. Sitting there surrounded by her children, waiting for the photographer to capture this moment, she was smiling and joking filled with little anecdotes and stories about other pictures, other family members. She was filled with so much love that it was easy to imagine her reminding them to go to Mass, encouraging them to go to confession, listening to them discuss their fears and aspirations.

She is good natured, gentle, and genial.

No comments:

Post a Comment