Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Rosary

“Do YOU KNOW, I don’t think I can survive another conversation about religion. It’s rather strenuous.”

“Oh, Cecil, you must.”

“Please, Cecil.”

This always happened when Cecil read the Sunday newspaper on Wednesday evening after dinner.

“No, I can’t, the world is to scrambled up.”

“Oh, Cecil, kindest, try.”

“Oh, Cecil, please.”

“Dear, brave Cecil, you must speak.”

“No. I will not. Lorna will become angry and tear each sentence apart letter by letter.”

“No, she won’t, will you Lorna?”

“Lorna, tell him that you will not become angry.”

“Cecil, do say something about religion, please. We won’t have a moment peace until you give us your homespun homily.”

“Well, then, if you promise you won’t attack me--”

There was silence.

“I am beginning to enjoy the repetition of the Rosary. At first I thought it was childish but now I like it. I sometimes lose my place but I like repeating the prayers over and over. I have felt closer to God after saying the Rosary. Sometimes as I say the Rosary something happens which I can’t adequately describe but its like I leave my body or consciousness or something like that and there is nothing but peace and love and beauty.”

“Oh, Cecil, how wonderful.”

“I am surprised you didn’t mention original sin. You do still believe in original sin?”

“Why are you asking about original sin?”

“Why can’t I ask him about original sin? Does original sin make you uncomfortable or something?”

“I am not uncomfortable. You promised!”

“I am not angry. I am not tearing his sentences apart letter by letter. Since Cecil likes repeating things, I like thinking about original sin. Cecil, do you have your rosary with you?”

“Lorna, he does not. We just finished dinner and dessert. He didn’t have room to bring it.”

“But, he did leave room in his brain to think of it. I am so glad that he was able to ramble on about peace and love and repeating something. It helped me digest dinner.”

“Lorna are you trying to tear him apart letter by letter.”

“My dear that steak was too tough. My jaws are too exhausted from chewing to become angry with anybody. I am going to my room. Good night.”

A bedroom door closes loudly.

“Lorna is really angry tonight.”

“I suspected that she might be more irritable tonight than usual.”

“She has been very weird all evening.”

“She had lunch with Mother today and then they went shopping.”

“I suspect that she ate too much and bought too little. I am sure that Mother told her that she must go to confession.”

“Mother would not stop there. It is time for Lorna to go to church, go to confession, get married and have children.”

“I am glad that she is the oldest. I am glad that she receives all of Mother’s attention.”

“But, you know sooner or later we all receive Mother’s attention.”

“Cecil, you’re right. Cecil, please teach me how to pray the Rosary. I must be prepared for Mother’s attention.”

No comments:

Post a Comment