Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mass at Eight Thirty

Going to Mass sometimes requires as much planning and strategy as the Normandy Invasion (D-Day)D-Day. Beyond the simple getting up, shaving, showering there is often a little contemplation, a little anxiety, a little looking at the clock and forcing myself out. I know precisely how long it might take to walk to the Cathedral depending upon several variables of weather, traffic, shoe and foot compatibility and comfort, and deliberate daydreams.

I miscalculated today. It was my intent to attend the 8:30 AM Mass. The main reason that I chose this Mass was to see a dear friend. However, there was some minor problems and I arrived just after the Mass had begun.

This was the first time that I had attended that Mass at St. Matthew’s Cathedral. It was a new experience. It was a grand experiment. I was a guinea pig who needed a wrist watch.

The Mass proceeded in the normal way and I realized that there was nothing different about this Mass other than my presence.

And I really didn’t feel different. I was happy to be at Mass, happy to have the entire day ahead of me.

After Mass I saw my friend and had a wonderful conversation about vocations. I also volunteered with Hospitality Sunday which was the other reason for my attending the 8:30 Mass. I had mentally decided to help after the 8:30 and 10:00 AM Masses.

In my mind I would only talk to two people. The rest of the time I would be invisible, unnoticed as I carried trays of donuts or pitchers of orange juice. I had not planned on having a camera around my neck but somehow when I walked out of my apartment that morning my black camera bag followed me. I had not planned on talking to anyone other than the Hospitality coordinator. Somehow I was talking with another friend who I had met when I was a catechumen in the RCIA. She mentioned something about an email requesting sponsors. I thought about it briefly, but decided against it.

Somehow I was taking pictures, then carrying a tray of glazed donuts, then pouring more orange juice into the pitcher.

I was happy to be in the Cathedral, happy to have heard the Word that morning, and happy to have seen all those faces.

As I walked home I briefly thought about the homily and wondered if I would be a good sponsor. I encouraged myself to say little prayers for the different people that I passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment