Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sunlight and Silence

The pale blue sky fades into dark trees on the horizon. I can see the bell towers and steeples of several churches in the city. I can also see the domes of two churches. I can see a man straining to push a cart on the roof of a nearby building. There is a cool breeze. I can feel the warmth of the sunlight on my neck and face.

I can hear multiple sirens, becoming louder, louder, more insistent and then fading away. And then become louder and louder before fading away.

Earlier today, I decided to write about the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

When I opened my eyes this morning, I searched for a topic. I wanted something to anchor my imagination, to direct my mind.

Life has many constants and many variables. In a city constants are automobiles, pedestrians, sidewalks. Variables are sidewalks, pedestrians, and automobiles.

Life provides questions, answers, and mysteries. Every question does not have a solution or an answer.

I find it comforting to see church architecture, the domes, steeples, bell towers are inspiring. They suggest a quest for something beyond a convenient parking space, a freshly laundered silk shirt, or pasteurized orange juice.

I find the Catechism of the Catholic Church comforting. Here is an explanation, a description of my faith. Here is the ultimate companion to the Bible. Here are the Church teachings.

It begins simply.

“The desire for God is written in the human heart, because man is created by God and for God; and God never ceases to draw man to himself.” CCC no. 27

That desire for God has been written and explored for centuries. That desire for God is the reason I am writing and asking questions and reading various books and texts.

God’s call becomes louder, and louder and more insistent and then it fades away. And then it returns louder and louder.

“Let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice” Ps 105:3

And so I am trying to create more time devoted to prayer, more time devoted to silent reflection.

And more time to glance at the horizon, to feel blessed, and to offer thanks to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment