Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Moving Forward With Hope & Love

I had intended to write a beautiful essay on social justice. I wanted it to inspire others to action. I planned on adding quotes, creating a learned, entertaining peace.

Instead, I will provide a more personal account. I believe the power of social justice is the personal involvement.

February 12, 2007 is the date of my introduction to Catholic social justice teachings. It is the moment I thought about doing faith based volunteering as an adult. I sent my first email to the Social Justice & Community Services Director at St. Matthew’s Cathedral.

She replied with an immediate thank you. We scheduled a meeting. I began volunteering with the both the Homeless and the English as a Second Language programs.

Going to the Homeless Ministry for the first time did create a little anxiety for me. But, within a few minutes it was gone. The other volunteers were friendly and encouraging, the Director was full of energy and inspiring and the clients were well behaved.

The Homeless Ministry encapsulated the teachings of the Catholic Church. Here hope and love collided with suffering and destitution. The Homeless Ministry reminded me that there are no differences between people, everyone wants to be treated with dignity and respect.

Being a volunteer allowed me to see a part of life which I completely ignored as I kept myself busy running errands, going to work. I was able to see some of my own prejudices and personal nonsense which I began to challenge.

The Monday morning’s with the Homeless Ministry allowed me to put into practice church teachings and helped me to begin to pray for people beyond my closed circle. Whether I was taking names at the door, putting fruit on a plate, or arranging clothes on a table, it all contributed to a desire to do more, to want to do more.

And the other volunteers and the Director created an atmosphere of hope and love, a welcoming space for everybody.

Social justice can be obtained only in respecting the transcendent dignity of man (CCC no, 1929).

The beauty of volunteering for God occurs when you let go of yourself, let go your fears and expectations and just do what God asks of you. Sometimes it might just be serving a warm casserole or listening to someone or searching for the mate to a size 14 shoe.


No comments:

Post a Comment