Friday, December 3, 2010

See that no one knows about this - December 3

"Let it be done for you according to your faith." Matthew 9:29

Newspaper headlines and lead paragraphs often capture my attention. There is nothing like a good, well publicized, and often polarized court room trial, the heated, intellectual cross-examinations, and sensational pictures and captions to motivate quips, puns, and one liners. Political reportage is very domestic, often too didactic. But, there are people who prefer articles about government agencies, government policies, government nuances. I look for new to make my eyes opens, my jaw to drop open. I look for news to scare me. A good newspaper story makes me afraid of my neighbors, makes me afraid to watch television,makes me afraid not to watch television. My entire being becomes briefly involved when I read newspaper headlines and lead paragraphs. How I like the inverted paragraph!

I am always on the look out for something to induce PG day dreams in which I am the witness on the stand, or at the next table or standing close to the wrong person at the right time or with the right person at the wrong time and either I photograph, film, or record a conversation or event accidentally and then I have to explain it and present it to the police and then during a sensational trial where I am the star witness. I am all ready with my imaginary comebacks, my imaginary sidelong glances,and my imaginary self-confidence and self-righteousness. A movie should be built around my imaginary battle with the cross-examiner.

These little reveries usually take place as I skim newspaper headlines as I am walking somewhere or riding on the subway. The truth about the state of the world is not as entertaining but is as equally frightening.

South Korea's new Defense minister threatened to bomb North Korea. The US unemployment rate rises to 9.8%. A murder suspect commits suicide in Los Angeles. American and civilian casualties rise in Afghanistan.

Each day there is some new tragedy, a murder, a rape, a vicious attack. Newspapers inform the public of the specifics of many of the crimes. There is never a lack of a news about a sudden, violent death.

This world provides many opportunities for prayer, many subjects in need of prayer, and many reasons to increase the prayer within our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment