Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Forecast

The forecast is rain again tonight, somehow this sounds very thrilling after the sudden heat.

We exist at the mercy of God. Each day we should give thanks for waking, looking around our bedrooms, finding food in our kitchens. Each day we should offer praise to God for all the goodness that he does provide to us. We speak so much and often hear so little. We are made from dust, will at the appointed time become ashes. Do we have the courage to suffer for God, to suffer for fairness? In our daily lives we often seek compassion and empathy from others. Do we have the courage to share compassion and empathy with those who are most in need of it? We speak so much of our personal comfort and convenience. Do we have the courage to defend the basic human rights of those members of our society who are marginalized? We talk of God’s love, God’s affection. Do we have the courage to share God’s love, God’s affection with those most in need of them? These thoughts often pass through my mind as I walk around the city. Sometimes there are so many people asking for change, asking for a meal, asking to be recognized and acknowledged that I am overwhelmed. If I could I would give them all that I have. Sometimes at different times during the day, they seem to multiply. And their cries create a chorus, anxious, melodic; and their cries create the desire within me to offer little, immediate prayers for each one that I see asking for a dime, bus fare, a sandwich.

We are all linked. We are all asking somebody for something. This thought often returns to me. The human condition begins with the desire for the basic things of life. And here God allows me to see another version of myself asking for this, begging for that, occasionally remembering God, occasionally giving thanks and praising God.

No comments:

Post a Comment